What is TDS and TVS? Open Ended Lab Project
Open Ended Lab Project
Canal Water is the artificial pathway for the water used for irrigation as well as for domestic use. The TSS, TDS, and TVS determination by performing the lab analysis, Firstly, We have collected the samples by determining its dimensions. The lab experiment is performed to determine the TSS, TDS, and TVS of the canal water. The values of the TDS were, 0.63 g, For TSS 0.618 g for, and TVS 0.628 g after the whole calculations. The whole process is done after the long-term process. The different parameters are used to determine the TSS, TDS, and TVS values.
Canals or artificial waterways are waterways or engineered channels built for drainage management or for conveyancing water transport vehicles. They carry free, calm surface flow under atmospheric pressure, and can be thought of as artificial rivers
Sources: The water in the Canals comes from outer resources like streams and reservoirs. Where the new waterway must change elevation engineering works like locks, lifts or elevators are constructed to raise and lower vessels.
The water needed to fill the canal comes from rivers, lakes and direct rainfall. Water from the river is needed not only by the sewerage enterprise. The mill owner built a mill on the bank of the river, and the mills were driven by water wheels.
Composition: Wastewater is untreated water and therefore may contain contaminants, biological or chemical contaminants. Please keep this in mind if you come into contact with water and observe basic hygiene rules.
Wastewater contains very high concentrations of BOD and COD, indicating high levels of organic loading, resulting in high levels of pollution.
Uses: Canals are also used to transport water for irrigation and other human uses. While the advent of more efficient forms of transportation has reduced the need for canals, they still play a vital role as conduits for transportation and fostering global commerce
The problem of Statement: As we know that canal water contains different kinds of waste and contaminants. So, here is the need of the proper search to deal with such problems and make it possible for human activities. Indeed, canal water used for washing purposes and other human activities and also for irrigation purpose. There is a need to determine its purity level as well as its TSS, TDS, TVS, and TFS.
Some methods have been adopted for this project:
- First of all, I have taken the Sample from the Mian Ali Branch Canal in the Faisalabad located in the mid of the Faisalabad.
- I have taken the dimensions from I have taken the sample for the lab analysis.
- I have taken the dimensions the use of my Google Maps.
- I have taken the two canal water samples for the measurement of the TSS, TDS, TVS, and FVS by performing the lab analysis.
Sample Taken Procedure: Tie a bottle with the wood stick and take it to the center of the
- I have taken the Sample from the mid of the canal.
- The first sample is from the Bottom in the mid of the canal, the next sample is from the Centre of the canal and again take from the upper center of the Canal
- Tite the Sample Bottle and Properly Label it with the Site Name and also with the sample number mentioned above it.
- Now I put the sample on a suitable room temperature at 25 degrees.
- Take-Two China dishes for one Water Sample
- First of all, wash the dishes properly with distilled or simple water.
- Now put these dishes in the Oven for Some time
- Then I have taken its Dry weight and noted it, this was 33.2 g
- Now take the Water sample of about 50 ml in a tube and put it into the China dish and now measure its weight, this was a total 60.6 g
- Then I have put the Waste Water sample in the Dry Oven at the temperature of 105 degrees for three to four hours.
- After that I have kept the Dry Sample in the Muffle Furnace at the temperature of 550 degrees for Three to Four hours.
- After the I have taken its mass measurement again and noted the reading which was 0.628 g
Now I have taken the measurements for a while to check the accuracy for TDS, TSS, and for TVS.
Calculations of the Canal Water turbidity which was 248 for the first sample and 247 for the Second Sample the Canal Water
After Lab analysis, I have come to know that the Water of the Canal is how much suitable for irrigation and for human use.
|01|| TSS = 1.27 g
VSS = 1.01 g
TDS = 0.64 g
|Value of TDS of Canal Water was 0.63||Mg/L|
|02||TSS = 1.48 g
VSS = 2.03 g
TDS = 0.563 g
|Value of TDS for Sample 2 Was 0.563 g||Mg/L|
Sample Take= 50 ml
Weight of Sample = 46.2 g
Weight of C. Dish = 34.01
Dry weight of C. Dish = 33.18 g
China Dish + Weight of Sample = 82.03 g
Weight of the Filter paper = 0.96 g
TSS= (Mass of C.dish =+ Sample 105⁰C) – C.D Mass/ 50 ml
= (34.01 g + 33.18 g) – 33.2 g
= 0.63 grams
TVS = (33.2 g + 31.2 g)– 33.2/ 50
= 0.628 g
TFS = TS – TVS
TFS = 0.002
TFS = 2* 10^-3
Results and Discussion
After this Measurement hence I concluded that TDS of the First Sample were quite different from the second one. I have calculated the TDS, TSS, and TDS for the Canal water to check its suitability for different purposes. Hence the TSS is 0.63 g and the TVS is 0.628 g. So, there are some conflicts on the basis of which I concluded that in some cases the use of canal water is not suitable. There is much conflict in the results. Here is a summary of the calculations like the Dry weight of the Sample of 50 ml 49.6 g.
Hence after the experiment, I concluded that the canal water in some conditions like average TDS and TSS values is suitable for some purposes like irrigation according to the accountability of the crops. The aim of the project is to check or analyze the canal water whether it is suitable for what purpose or not suitable for what purposes. After the laboratory test of the canal water, we analyzed the canal water’s suitability and instability for different purposes.